Onenote notebook sharing and backup
tt
2017-01-04 18:54:50 UTC

I am a new user of OneNote 2016 (from Evernote). My problem seems quite =
=

simple, I would like to share some of the note books AND be able to back=
up =

them to some external HD or so on...

Sharing a notebook is easy, just move it to OneDrive and share. Then the=
=

local notebook file just becomes a link to the notebook in OneDrive. Ok,=
=

but now how can I backup the notebooks in OneDrive ?

I made the following tests:
.backup function in OneNote just copies local notebooks to backup folder=
=

(NOT OneDrive ones)
.export from OneNote works but remains a manual action
.downloading notebook files from OneDrive web interface gets a zip file =
=

containing 2 files different from the original one
.some said OneNote cache contains notebooks copies, maybe, it contains =

strange names files which are unusable : after deleting the notebook in =
=

OneDrive (OneNote closed) they do not permit recovering the deleted =

notebook.

Thanks for help, since I would like not to go back to Evernote.

-- =

Thumain Th=E9r=E8se
Teresa Tunnell
All my notebooks are on OneDrive and the backup function copies all of them to a folder I have selected on my hard drive. I can then open them up in OneNote as local files and recover whatever I like. This is so much better than Evernote. Are you using 'Save & Backup' on the OneNote Options screen? This works for me.
tt
2017-01-04 21:21:53 UTC
Le Wed, 04 Jan 2017 21:14:51 +0100, Teresa Tunnell =
Hi,
[...]
Thanks. Save and backup option runs for a few seconds and ends ok. Only =
=

local notebooks are saved not OneDrive ones. I shall try again and let y=
ou =

know.

Comparison with Evernote has positive and negative things on both sides.=

In my opinion Evernote is better for web clipping (far better), use on =

simple smartphones (ie with < 1GB memory), drawbacks are no local =

ciphering, no folder trees. Unsteady privacy policy makes me no longer =

trust them.

OneNote seems (recent user) better in searching, classifying notes =

(sections, pages,...), note designing, sorting and editing, drawbacks : =
=

rudimentary web clipping,no backup (hoping to solve this), needs a =

powerfull smartphone (local storage and ram, cannot be moved to SD card)=
. =

Privacy policy probably not better than Evernote's.

-- =

Thumain Th=E9r=E8se
tt
2017-01-07 13:40:28 UTC
Post by tt
trust them.
OneNote seems (recent user) better in searching, classifying notes =
(sections, pages,...), note designing, sorting and editing, drawbacks =
: =
Post by tt
rudimentary web clipping,no backup (hoping to solve this), needs a =
powerfull smartphone (local storage and ram, cannot be moved to SD =
card). Privacy policy probably not better than Evernote's.
Hi,

Uninstalled whole thing, cleaned Appdata (OneDrive,Office) and registry =
=

(OneDrive). Reinstalled with same results but
looking at Options/save and backup I saw a small box 'Backup notebooks =

from sharepoint' unticked.
Then I remembered sharepoint is now OneDrive and so clicked on the box :=
=

it works !

Thanks
-- =

Thumain Th=E9r=E8se
f***@gmail.com

You cannot use OneNote 2016 in your local drive. it only syncs with OneDrive. If you want to keep files locally, you may have to find OneNote 2013 version.
tt
2017-01-30 15:58:41 UTC
Hi,
Post by f***@gmail.com
OneDrive (OneNote closed) they do not permit recovering the deleted
notebook.
Thanks for help, since I would like not to go back to Evernote.
--
Thumain Th=E9r=E8se
Hi Therese,
You cannot use OneNote 2016 in your local drive. it only syncs with =
OneDrive. If you want to keep files locally, you may have to find =
OneNote 2013 version.
Thanks for you answer, but I do not agree : I have local notebooks(that =
do =

not need sync'ing) AND onedrive ones and the backup to local directory =
=

for onedrive notebooks works which is just what I wanted.

-- =

Thumain Th=E9r=E8se
m***@gmail.com
2017-03-26 21:21:59 UTC
Post by f***@gmail.com
Post by tt
Hi,
[...]
I am exporting all my OneNote notebooks and i have multiple sync folders in OneDrive, whcih i regulary backup !