AAARGH! OneNote dictionary problem...
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell
2009-02-12 12:02:54 UTC
Hey folks!

I'm getting this when I try to add entries to my dictionary:

"The word Sheol cannot be added to the custom dictionary. The word contains
characters that the spelling checker cannot handle, or the dictionary is
full or unavailable."

Now I think, silly girl that I am, that I may have accidently changed the
location of the dictionary. If so, can someone remind me what the *default
location* should be so that I can reset it?

Thanks muchly!

Carmen
David Olsen
2009-02-12 20:39:04 UTC
Sounds like the dictionary has gone to Sheol :-)

To find spelling related info, Menu: Tools-Spelling-Spelling Options, then
click Custom Dictionaries button.
Note that you can add multiple dictionaries.

In answer to your question, the default (in XP) appears to be C:\Documents
and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\UProof
--
David Olsen
www.powerbits.com.au
Hey folks!
Carmen
s***@gmail.com
I'm having this issue too, but I don't know how to access the dictionary in OneNote. I tried literally everything plus the suggestion of the guy below. Nothing worked.
m***@gmail.com
2016-01-19 21:43:09 UTC
Post by Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell
Hey folks!
"The word Sheol cannot be added to the custom dictionary. The word contains
characters that the spelling checker cannot handle, or the dictionary is
full or unavailable."
Now I think, silly girl that I am, that I may have accidently changed the
location of the dictionary. If so, can someone remind me what the *default
location* should be so that I can reset it?
Thanks muchly!
Carmen
Location C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof
Open OneNote
Go to File>Options>Proofing then click on Custom Dictionaries
Click on New
Select CUSTOM.DIC from the list click OK
It will ask if you want to replace it. Click yes. All fixed.
I have had this annoying problem foe ages.
m***@gmail.com
2016-01-19 21:46:48 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell
Hey folks!
"The word Sheol cannot be added to the custom dictionary. The word contains
characters that the spelling checker cannot handle, or the dictionary is
full or unavailable."
Now I think, silly girl that I am, that I may have accidently changed the
location of the dictionary. If so, can someone remind me what the *default
location* should be so that I can reset it?
Thanks muchly!
Carmen
Location C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof
Open OneNote
Go to File>Options>Proofing then click on Custom Dictionaries
Click on New
Select CUSTOM.DIC from the list click OK
It will ask if you want to replace it. Click yes. All fixed.
I have had this annoying problem for ages.
Note: Access the dictionaries from File> Options in OneNote.
c***@gmail.com
2017-06-08 17:16:51 UTC
This thread is a year old, but this may help someone.

I solved the situation using Manny's suggestion to locate the custom dictionary - in my case, this was "RoamingCustom.dic (default)"... I edited the word list and removed anything that looked strange. I had a bunch of names in the list containing apostrophes. I deleted those, clicked ok to save the dictionary, and I was now able to re-add a new word.

Hope it helps someone.
Michael Gribschaw
Dude, you da man! Appreciate the fix.
Ai Winters
2023-04-10 12:50:43 UTC
Holy damn this thread has gone on for 14 years, but thanks j... that worked for me and I hope it helps many others in the future, or Microsoft could fix their damn software
j***@gmail.com
2017-08-03 00:42:46 UTC
Manny & Chad_v's suggestions worked for me. THANKS!
j***@porkka.us
2017-08-26 23:36:36 UTC
For OneNote with a ribbon (not menu) -- I'm using 365.
Under File -> Options, Then Proofing along the left and CustomDictionaries in the main options area.

All office apps share dictionary information.
I switched to Word and added a new word to the dictionary.
That word is now recognized by Onenote.

Even better, I can now add new words to the dictionary in OneNote.

Seems like Word fixed something automatically that OneNote wasn't able to.
d***@gmail.com
2017-09-23 21:35:07 UTC
This worked great for me, thanks!

Adding one new word to the to the dictionary via Word fixed it OneNote, which can now freely add new words.
t***@gmail.com
2018-03-12 14:09:00 UTC
***@porkka.us

That's the answer.
k***@gmail.com
2018-05-10 03:03:02 UTC
Post by Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell
Hey folks!
"The word Sheol cannot be added to the custom dictionary. The word contains
characters that the spelling checker cannot handle, or the dictionary is
full or unavailable."
Now I think, silly girl that I am, that I may have accidently changed the
location of the dictionary. If so, can someone remind me what the *default
location* should be so that I can reset it?
Thanks muchly!
Carmen
Simplest solution for me (OneNote 2016) is File>Options>Proofing
Click 'Custom Dictionaries...' and make CUSTOM.dic the default
d***@trebacz.com
b***@gmail.com
2019-07-22 17:19:19 UTC
it worked,