undo "read only" One Notes
lebo4444
2007-10-12 21:16:01 UTC
Some how parts of my One Notes has become "read only". How do I get this
undone ? Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
unknown
2007-10-13 06:29:04 UTC
Are they shared notebooks? If so, where are they stored?

And what OS are you using to access them?
--
Thanks,
John Guin
minnebelle
2008-01-16 15:14:03 UTC
I have the reverse problem. I want to make a shared notebook 'read-only'. How
can I do that? I found one suggestion which is to put the notebook in a
read-only folder on a server but is there a way that I as the creator or
owner of the notebook can make it read-only? thanks,
unknown
2008-01-17 18:27:01 UTC
There is no way from within OneNote to change permissions to a notebook: ON
relies on the permissions list it gets from the server (or local hard drive).

Short of moving the notebook to a secure location, the only way to change
permissions is to right click the folder that holds it and alter the
permissions there.
Ashley
m***@gmail.com
2015-10-01 06:58:22 UTC
Post by lebo4444
Some how parts of my One Notes has become "read only". How do I get this
undone ? Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
I had the same problem with some of "sections" and "section groups" becoming read-only. Since the sections are *.one files and section groups are folders/subfolders where OneNote stores the notebooks (i.e. destination-dir), I just removed the read-only attribute from all the folders and their contents through the command prompt window;

cd <destination-dir>
attrib -R /S /D

Cheers
d***@gmail.com
2016-06-13 17:06:48 UTC
If you want to change the status (read-only or editable) of a notebook, this can be done easily from windows explorer by by weak-side clicking (I use my mouse left-handed so it is not a right click for me) choosing properties and then clicking or unclicking the checkmark box on read-only.

HOWEVER, this does not address why onenote takes it upon itself to change the editability of the notebook without asking you OR why it ignores it when you do the above, hit apply, and then hit ok. Onenote does this with me and I close out of properties. I then go back in and it has changed it to read only again.

any thoughts?
c***@gmail.com
2018-03-31 21:14:27 UTC
Were you ever able to solve this? It's been relentless for me and somewhat random. I've found myself in battles of recreating notebooks arbitrarily until it works. I host my notebooks on Google Drive because OneDrive has been unreliable and my work domain is incompatible with the Office domain.
any thoughts?
Anrie Hoogendoorn
2021-02-03 10:41:32 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
If you want to change the status (read-only or editable) of a notebook, this can be done easily from windows explorer by by weak-side clicking (I use my mouse left-handed so it is not a right click for me) choosing properties and then clicking or unclicking the checkmark box on read-only.
HOWEVER, this does not address why onenote takes it upon itself to change the editability of the notebook without asking you OR why it ignores it when you do the above, hit apply, and then hit ok. Onenote does this with me and I close out of properties. I then go back in and it has changed it to read only again.
any thoughts?
Two - no three! - years later I'm having the same problem. Certain sections of my notebook have suddenly become read-only. Curiously, I can still type in it, but I can't add more tabs or move things into it. Removing the "read-only" property in Windows seems fairly useless, as it just becomes read-only again as soon as I open the file.

I am not keen to converting everything to a different program/software, but at the moment I see no other alternative.
Timothy Grant
2022-03-11 14:51:16 UTC
For me, the issue is that my section groups are read-only which prevents me from adding new pages to the groups. The pages within the section groups are fully functional and I can still add new pages to my notebook, however. I still have the ability to rename the sections. I'm not sure if you all have the same ability but here is a temporary solution that I found in case it helps anyone:

1) Rename the OneNote section (add a "2" at the end).
2) Right-click and "move" to the renamed section group into the notebook that the section group is already in.
3) The "Read-only" property is temporarily removed and I can add pages to the group.
4) The section group becomes "Read-only" again after a few moments but the added pages remain in the section group.

The issue started in my notebook when I started using Google Drive to back up the notebook folder (in my documents folder on a Windows PC). I guess OneDrive does not function well with that. Disabling that function has not resolved the issue though.