OneNote 2007 keeps on crashing
lyth168
2007-10-24 18:44:02 UTC
I just started using OneNote last night, and inserted files as printout so I
can add notes to them, after using it for about an hour, it crashed and every
time I opened OneNote after that it just keeps on crashing after
approximately 10 seconds. I've tried restarting the computer and told it to
look online for help but nothing worked. I also ran office diagnostics but
it found nothing wrong. I've also inserted the Microsoft Office 2007 CD and
tried to repair it but that didn't work either. The ony thing I haven't
tried is uninstalling and reinstalling and I really want to leave that as a
last resort.

Here are the problem details:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: onenote.exe
Problem Signature 02: 12.0.4518.1014
Problem Signature 03: 4542816b
Problem Signature 04: IALoader
Problem Signature 05: 1.7.6223.0
Problem Signature 06: 44e0e32b
Problem Signature 07: 2c
Problem Signature 08: 82
Problem Signature 09: System.InvalidOperationException
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
LCID: 1033
Brand: Office12Crash
skulcid: 1033

Also when I click on debug the program, it opens a window saying:
The exception unknown software exception (0xe0434f4d) occurred in the
application at location 0a758eb09e.

It would be really helpful if anyone could help me out with this because
OneNote could be really useful.
Ilya Koulchin
2007-10-24 21:18:11 UTC
Could you post the bucket number for the crash? It should be in the
event log, in the information event logged when you submit the error
report. Also, do you have the TabletPC sdk or something similar installed?

Ilya
lyth168
2007-10-24 23:06:00 UTC
I can't find the bucket number, but I went to the event log, or at least I
think it is and found this in the "Microsoft Office Sessions" section under
Event Viewer:

ID: 13, Application Name: Microsoft Office OneNote, Application Version:
12.0.4518.1014, Microsoft Office Version: 12.0.4518.1014. This session lasted
13 seconds with 0 seconds of active time. This session ended with a crash.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft Office 12 Sessions" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">7001</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>73</EventRecordID>
<Channel>OSession</Channel>
<Computer>Anthony-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>13</Data>
<Data>Microsoft Office OneNote</Data>
<Data>12.0.4518.1014</Data>
<Data>12.0.4518.1014</Data>
<Data>13</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

I can't find anything that says bucket number but it does say Event ID 7001
under the Level "error" instead of "information." I'm guessing 7001 is the
bucket number?

I'm actually using this on a desktop to organize my notes for school, so I
don't have another tablet program of that sort.
lyth168
2007-10-24 23:23:01 UTC
I'm searching online to see how to find the bucket number, but I really don't
seem to see the bucket number that everyone else gets. It says you have to
send the error report to get that number. I'm selecting search online for a
solution, is that the same as send error report? My other two choices are
close the program and debug the program.
By the way, this is on Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit and using Microsoft
Office 2007 Complete version, if that changes anything.

Thanks in advance.
Anthony
Ilya Koulchin
2007-10-25 00:40:26 UTC
Post by lyth168
I can't find the bucket number, but I went to the event log, or at least I
think it is and found this in the "Microsoft Office Sessions" section under
You want to look at the Application logs, in the Windows Logs category.
The general tab of the error report will look something like this:

"Fault bucket 479830824, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: None
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: OneNote.exe
P2: 12.0.4518.1014
..."

The source should be listed as "Windows Error Reporting". The bucket
number is that long number after fault bucket, in this case, 479830824.

Ilya
lyth168
2007-10-25 01:02:00 UTC
There seems to be two types, I'm not sure which one is the right one.

Fault bucket 368833608, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: None
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: ONENOTE.EXE

Fault bucket 12185300, type 5
Event Name: CLR20r3
Response: None
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: onenote.exe

The event name "CLR20r3" seems to occur a lot more frequently over and over
again, whereas the other one only occurred twice today.
lyth168
2007-10-25 07:05:01 UTC
I just reinstalled it and the same problem occurred. It was forced to shut
down after 5 seconds.
Ilya Koulchin
2007-10-25 20:34:51 UTC
At first glance, this looks like a problem with inking. If you close all
the notebooks that have some ink in them, do you still get the crash?

Ilya
lyth168
2007-10-25 20:51:02 UTC
by inking, do you mean using the red pen and highlighters? because I had a
feeling it was the red pen because the first crash happened right after i was
switching in between highlighter and the red pen, probably because I was
switching between them too many times?

I closed the notebook and its not crashing now,
Does that means I can't use that notebook anymore and have to create another
one?
Also, would that mean I can't use the pens and highlighters? because that
would really take half the reason I'm using this program.

Anthony
Josh Einstein
2007-10-26 00:14:36 UTC
If I were a betting man (I'm not) I'd say somehow OneNote is giving an empty
or otherwise invalid stroke collection or something to the ink analyzer.
Either way, it seems to be something to do with inking as has already been
mentioned.

I'd hate to fix the problem before Microsoft gets a chance to locate your
crash report, cause they'll help them fix the problem in the future, but
have you tried clearing out your OneNote cache folder? On my system this is
located here:

C:\Users\Josh Einstein\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneNote\12.0

(This is on Vista and on your machine it would obviously have your
username.)

You could try deleting the files in here (as long as you don't have any
un-synchronized changes in any shared notebooks) and maybe that will fix any
corrupt ink structures that OneNote has managed to save?
--
Josh Einstein (Tablet PC MVP)
Einstein Technologies
Anthony
lyth168
2007-10-26 00:40:00 UTC
I just tried that and it didn't work; same result.
However, I opened a new notebook and scribbled random highlights and pen
marks on it and it hasn't crashed yet (I'm leaving the program open but not
using it), so maybe the problem is coming from some saved setting that is in
the notebook itself?

Anthony
Ilya Koulchin
2007-10-26 02:43:20 UTC
The problem appears to be with the handwriting recognizers. One thing
you could do is look through HKLM\Software\Microsoft\TPG to see if any
of the registered recognizers are referencing a missing dll. Removing
the key for that recognizer might solve the problem.
You could also try reinstalling the inking components of Windows.

Ilya
lyth168
2007-10-26 03:36:00 UTC
Out of the 13 .dll in the HKLM, it appears I only have one of the files
listed there, which is mshwgst.dll
there are many others that start with mshw but I don't have the 12 other
ones listed in the key "Recognizer dll" in the HKLM

so am I supposed to delete all of them? and if i do, do i only delete the
Recognizer dll key or the whole subfolder in the folder of "System
Recognizers"
lyth168
2007-10-26 19:52:01 UTC
Also, how do I only reinstall the inking components?
and thanks for trying to help me so far.

Anthony
Ilya Koulchin
2007-10-31 19:41:31 UTC
Post by lyth168
Also, how do I only reinstall the inking components?
Sorry, I don't know of a way to do that. Perhaps you could ask in the
windows or tablet newsgroups?

Ilya
Josh Einstein
2007-11-01 15:38:13 UTC
Elaine
2007-11-09 17:49:01 UTC
I am having this issue as well. Just installed a couple of weeks ago.
Imported a lot of note from the old version.

It started happening very soon after I used a highlighter and a pen for the
first time in this version. Crashing happens every 2minutes to 2 hours.
Whenever I step away from my desk and come back it has crashed.

I need more information on finding the bucket number. In the application
event log I have no items with a Windows category. Only Setupp, Schedule,
None, and (2).

Here is the event description that I was able to associate with a crash from
yesterday.

Faulting application onenote.exe, version 12.0.4518.1014, stamp 4542816b,
faulting module onmain.dll, version 12.0.4518.1014, stamp 454281a5, debug? 0,
fault address 0x0001a7ee.

I'm on XP.
p***@hotmail.com
2007-11-23 16:44:27 UTC
Post by Elaine
I am having this issue as well. Just installed a couple of weeks ago.
Imported a lot of note from the old version.
It started happening very soon after I used a highlighter and a pen for the
first time in this version. Crashing happens every 2minutes to 2 hours.
Whenever I step away from my desk and come back it has crashed.
I need more information on finding the bucket number. In the application
event log I have no items with a Windows category. Only Setupp, Schedule,
None, and (2).
Here is the event description that I was able to associate with acrashfrom
yesterday.
Faulting applicationonenote.exe, version 12.0.4518.1014, stamp 4542816b,
faulting module onmain.dll, version 12.0.4518.1014, stamp 454281a5, debug? 0,
fault address 0x0001a7ee.
I'm on XP.
Has anyone come up with a solution to this yet? I'm having the exact
same problem with Onenote 2007 crashing intermittently. Doesn't matter
if it's left alone or I'm using it. It's virtually unusable like this.
The strange thing is, there are other people in this office using it,
all off the same notebooks and they do not have a problem.
I've trawled microsoft, tech net, various different forums and can
find nothing that even hints at a fix for this. Any help would be much
appreciated :)