New hard drive - user states almost all data missing
Terry R.
2008-10-27 20:41:42 UTC
We have been replacing hard drives on laptops. I have a Onenote user
who told me today most of her Onenote files were missing. Since all
laptop data is stored on servers, I told her that any data should still
be in the folders it was in originally. Files that she specifically
saved are there. But she states that most of the time she would work in
Onenote and then just close it and the data would be there next time it
was opened.

I don't know how she is doing her work. I thought users saved Onenote
data like other programs, by saving files, but by her description I must
be wrong.

Is Onenote data stored locally even if My Documents is a network drive?
Would everything she works on be sitting in the cache?

I still have the old drive so I can retrieve anything left behind.

Thanks for any info here on how to get her info back.
--
Terry R.

***Reply Note***
David
2008-10-27 20:54:27 UTC
Default location for notebooks is: ..\My Documents\OneNote Notebooks.
You could scan the user's My Documents folder for *.one files.

Otherwise, pop the drive back in, start OneNote, Menu: Tools-Options,
Category: Save will reveal all.
--
David Olsen
www.powerbits.com.au
Terry R.
2008-10-27 21:03:07 UTC
The date and time was 10/27/2008 1:54 PM, and on a whim, David pounded
Post by David
You could scan the user's My Documents folder for *.one files.
Otherwise, pop the drive back in, start OneNote, Menu: Tools-Options,
Category: Save will reveal all.
Hi David,

Users "My Documents" is on a server, and nothing was deleted from there.
There are files located in the folder you stated, but the user claims
she had "many more". But since she described not saving anything per se
as I described, I didn't know where everything could be being stored.

I can access the drive out of the laptop, but I don't know if that will
help.
--
Terry R.

***Reply Note***
Rainald Taesler
2008-10-28 02:49:33 UTC
Post by Terry R.
Post by David
Default location for notebooks is: ..\My Documents\OneNote
Notebooks. You could scan the user's My Documents folder for *.one
files.
Tools-Options, Category: Save will reveal all.
Users "My Documents" is on a server, and nothing was deleted from
there. There are files located in the folder you stated, but the
user claims she had "many more". But since she described not
saving anything per se as I described, I didn't know where
everything could be being stored.
As apparently no-one in here has taken classes in clairvoyance <bg,d&r>
nobody will be able to say where her missing notebook files might be
{siiiigh}.
Post by Terry R.
I can access the drive out of the laptop, but I don't know if that
will help.
Most probably not.
But you may search around for "*.one" files and move/copy the found
items to the default storage place. Then the user might check the
content and determine if it was of use or not.

Rainald
Terry R.
2008-10-28 14:24:06 UTC
The date and time was 10/27/2008 7:49 PM, and on a whim, Rainald Taesler
Post by Rainald Taesler
Post by Terry R.
Post by David
Notebooks. You could scan the user's My Documents folder for *.one
files.
Tools-Options, Category: Save will reveal all.
Users "My Documents" is on a server, and nothing was deleted from
there. There are files located in the folder you stated, but the
user claims she had "many more". But since she described not
saving anything per se as I described, I didn't know where
everything could be being stored.
As apparently no-one in here has taken classes in clairvoyance <bg,d&r>
nobody will be able to say where her missing notebook files might be
{siiiigh}.
Clairvoyance not needed. All laptop users "My Documents" are on a
server. Regarding this, some statements in other posts seem conflicting
to me and I will address them there.

YouBetcha
2008-10-27 21:10:04 UTC
Typically OneNote would default to creating a "OneNote Notebooks"
subdirectory of My Documents. The various subdirectories of "OneNOte
Notebooks" will contain the notebook files she was looking for. She can just
open them from the file menu in OneNote. If the notebook files were on the
network drive, it won't be a problem, she can reopen her workbooks by
pointing OneNote to these locations.

However, she had the option to change the location of the "OneNote
Notebooks" subdirectory. She could have changed them to a hard drive
location (anywhere).

Files in the directories will have the extension *.one

On the usage and how the files are saved, her description is accurate, the
user doesn't have to "save" "open" or "close" files. OneNote is designed so
that when you launch the software, it will start off in the state you last
left off, without user intervention. Changes are made and stored
automatically. You potentially would use the same notebooks all the time,
not use different files like you would with other office software.
Terry R.
2008-10-27 21:52:22 UTC
The date and time was 10/27/2008 2:10 PM, and on a whim, YouBetcha
Post by YouBetcha
Typically OneNote would default to creating a "OneNote Notebooks"
subdirectory of My Documents. The various subdirectories of "OneNOte
Notebooks" will contain the notebook files she was looking for. She can just
open them from the file menu in OneNote. If the notebook files were on the
network drive, it won't be a problem, she can reopen her workbooks by
pointing OneNote to these locations.
She states the data/files/info is not in any folders. She works in
OneNote everyday, but there aren't very many with new dates.
Post by YouBetcha
However, she had the option to change the location of the "OneNote
Notebooks" subdirectory. She could have changed them to a hard drive
location (anywhere).
The OneNote Notebook folder is located on the network and she never
changed the path.
Post by YouBetcha
Files in the directories will have the extension *.one
On the usage and how the files are saved, her description is accurate, the
user doesn't have to "save" "open" or "close" files. OneNote is designed so
that when you launch the software, it will start off in the state you last
left off, without user intervention. Changes are made and stored
automatically. You potentially would use the same notebooks all the time,
not use different files like you would with other office software.
Where are the changes "stored" if she doesn't save anything with a
specific filename? I think this is the issue. Now that she has a new
hard drive, those stored changes are no longer there, since she never
specifically saved anything.

Thanks,

David
2008-10-27 22:06:40 UTC
David Olsen
www.powerbits.com.au
The date and time was 10/27/2008 2:10 PM, and on a whim, YouBetcha pounded
David
Ilya Koulchin
2008-10-27 22:34:51 UTC
Post by YouBetcha
Typically OneNote would default to creating a "OneNote Notebooks"
subdirectory of My Documents. The various subdirectories of
"OneNOte Notebooks" will contain the notebook files she was looking
for. She can just open them from the file menu in OneNote. If the
notebook files were on the network drive, it won't be a problem, she
can reopen her workbooks by pointing OneNote to these locations.
She states the data/files/info is not in any folders. She works in
OneNote everyday, but there aren't very many with new dates.
It is possible she inadvertently set OneNote to work offline, and then
continued in that state for a period of time. If she were working from
just one computer, it would be completely transparent to her, and it'd
be easy to overlook that changes weren't being saved to the server. If
that is what happened, then the solution is to boot up OneNote from the
old drive, go to File->Sync->Sync status, make sure OneNote is not
configured to work offline, and trigger a sync of all the notebooks.

While you're at it, make a note of all the notebook paths that're open
in OneNote. If any of the notebooks are missing from the new computer,
you can reopen them from those paths.

Another possibility is that sync is failing due to Windows Offline Files
conflicts. If that is the case, make sure that all offline files
conflicts are resolved.
Terry R.
2008-10-27 23:16:08 UTC
The date and time was 10/27/2008 3:34 PM, and on a whim, Ilya Koulchin
Post by YouBetcha
[...]
Hi Ilya,

Thanks for the ideas. This user did use OF. We are slowly moving
laptop users to use the Symantec Backup Agent since OF is too quirky,
but she's still using it now.

I will bring the old drive with me when I'm onsite Wednesday to check to
see if ON was Offline or not, and note the paths.
--
Terry R.

***Reply Note***
Rainald Taesler
2008-10-28 03:07:22 UTC
Post by Terry R.
Post by YouBetcha
Typically OneNote would default to creating a "OneNote Notebooks"
subdirectory of My Documents. The various subdirectories of
"OneNOte Notebooks" will contain the notebook files she was
looking for. She can just open them from the file menu in
OneNote. If the notebook files were on the network drive, it
won't be a problem, she can reopen her workbooks by pointing
OneNote to these locations.
She states the data/files/info is not in any folders. She works in
OneNote everyday, but there aren't very many with new dates.
She's wrong in so far as she says that the data-files would not be in a
folder.
Most probably she just is not informed enough on how ON works :-( :-(
OneNote works with "notebook"-files (*.one"). Those are stored in
folders. One opens them and works with them. ON uses a cache (stored
locally) but the date are stored in the "notebook"- (*.one)-files.
Post by Terry R.
Post by YouBetcha
However, she had the option to change the location of the "OneNote
Notebooks" subdirectory. She could have changed them to a hard
drive location (anywhere).
The OneNote Notebook folder is located on the network and she never
changed the path.
Pretty good!!
So nothing has to be done except opening the files located on the
network.
Problems might only occur if the user by mistake would have created any
notebooks locally.
Post by Terry R.
Post by YouBetcha
Files in the directories will have the extension *.one
On the usage and how the files are saved, her description is
accurate, the user doesn't have to "save" "open" or "close"
files. OneNote is designed so that when you launch the software,
it will start off in the state you last left off, without user
intervention. Changes are made and stored automatically. You
potentially would use the same notebooks all the time, not use
different files like you would with other office software.
Where are the changes "stored" if she doesn't save anything with a
specific filename? I think this is the issue.
No. this is not an issue.
Changes are just stored in the notebook-files used.
And if the notebooks are divided by "sections" and/or "section groups"
these are stored just in sub-directories of the respective
notebook-files (bearing the sections' name and having the ".one"
extension.
Post by Terry R.
Now that she has a new hard drive, those stored changes
are no longer there, since she never specifically saved anything.
*NO*
Wrong mental concept on your side.
Everything is saved *automatically" in the respective *.one files.

Rainald
Terry R.
2008-10-28 14:30:42 UTC
The date and time was 10/27/2008 8:07 PM, and on a whim, Rainald Taesler
Post by Rainald Taesler
Post by Terry R.
Post by YouBetcha
[...]
I stated data/files/info, not data-files, because at this point I don't
really know WHAT it is ON is storing. She has .one files in the default
ON folder. There are also files in the appdata ON folder (although at
this point we haven't determined whether they are useful or not). I'm
sure she didn't put them there. Not good design IMO.
Post by Rainald Taesler
Post by Terry R.
Post by YouBetcha
However, she had the option to change the location of the "OneNote
Notebooks" subdirectory. She could have changed them to a hard
drive location (anywhere).
The OneNote Notebook folder is located on the network and she never
changed the path.
Pretty good!!
So nothing has to be done except opening the files located on the
network.
Problems might only occur if the user by mistake would have created any
notebooks locally.
"Created" again brings up a question I have regarding how you are saying
ON works.
Post by Rainald Taesler
Post by Terry R.
Post by YouBetcha
[...]
Now we have "stored" & "created".
Post by Rainald Taesler
Post by Terry R.
Now that she has a new hard drive, those stored changes
are no longer there, since she never specifically saved anything.
*NO*
Wrong mental concept on your side.
Everything is saved *automatically" in the respective *.one files.
Rainald
Now we have "stored", "created", and "saved". No data/files/info has
been deleted from her server drive.
--
Terry R.

***Reply Note***
Terry R.
2008-10-27 23:40:39 UTC
The date and time was 10/27/2008 1:41 PM, and on a whim, Terry R.
Post by Terry R.
[...]
I connected the hard drive to my workstation and found a Backup folder in
...\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\OneNote\12.0\.

There is an "Open Sections" folder, and "Unfiled Notes" folder, and one
of her business meeting folders, with a few of the files being quite
large. As suggested, one of the large files could have been opened and
had been storing all of info when she said she was just opening and
closing ON most of the time and the data was just "there"?

All the files have the .one extension. If I copy the folders over to
the new hard drive to the same location, will they be automatically
picked up by OneNote?

Thanks,
--
Terry R.

***Reply Note***
Terry R.
2008-10-28 00:05:19 UTC
The date and time was 10/27/2008 4:40 PM, and on a whim, Terry R.
Post by Terry R.
[...]
I also found a file named OneNoteOfflineCache.onecache that is quite
large. I'm guessing she may have been working in the Offline mode, if
it's large because she hadn't synced everything recently.

There is a folder named OneNoteOfflineCache_Files that also has a lot of
PDF, DOC, XLS files, so at least it appears the data is there.

Better this was found this way than having a hard drive go bad thinking
everything was stored safe on a server.
--
Terry R.

***Reply Note***
Rainald Taesler
2008-10-28 02:05:20 UTC
Hi Terry,
this thread is really one of the most hectically ones I've seen for
quite a while and it has become rather chaotic {siiigh}.
I'll try to help by giving some information step-by-step.
Post by Terry R.
I also found a file named OneNoteOfflineCache.onecache that is quite
large. I'm guessing she may have been working in the Offline mode,
if it's large because she hadn't synced everything recently.
This is no *special* situation.
OneNote *always* works from a *cache* (and in so far is different from
any other software I know).
The *notebook*-files are basic thing. They are loaded if a notebook is
opened in OneNote. But once the notebooks are open, OneNote stores
everything in the cache and works from there. Changed data are written
back to the data-files (notebooks).

Things in the *cache are *NOT* the data-files (notebook files) needed.
With the cached data nothing can be done if the basic notebook-files are
missing.

If it would just be a *stand-alone* computer the data-files (notebooks)
by default would be sitting in a subdirectory of
%userprofile%\documents\ - normally "OneNote-notebooks".
If the computer is part of a network, it could be that all of the
notebook files were sitting on a server and opened from there (shared)
and no notebook files stored *locally*.
In a network environment this would be the *normal* situation as this
way more than one computer could use the notebooks and all data would be
synchronized automatically.
Post by Terry R.
There is a folder named OneNoteOfflineCache_Files that also has a
lot of PDF, DOC, XLS files, so at least it appears the data is
there.
Right. These are just files belonging to the cache. They are created
when opening files inside OneNote which are embedded.
They can be deleted without any harm be done to the the notebooks (the
files are held inside the notebooks).
Post by Terry R.
Better this was found this way than having a hard drive go bad
thinking everything was stored safe on a server.
The files you detected are just "good for nothing".
OneNote can not *work* with them.
OneNote needs the *notebook*-files to start with.

All of what you mentioned here can just be deleted.

Rainald
Terry R.
2008-10-28 14:33:08 UTC
The date and time was 10/27/2008 7:05 PM, and on a whim, Rainald Taesler
Post by Terry R.
Better this was found this way than having a hard drive go bad
thinking everything was stored safe on a server.
The files you detected are just "good for nothing".
OneNote can not *work* with them.
OneNote needs the *notebook*-files to start with.
All of what you mentioned here can just be deleted.
Rainald
Okay, that gets rid of the .onecache file and the
OneNoteOFflineCache_Files folder. Nothing useful there.
--
Terry R.

***Reply Note***
Rainald Taesler
2008-10-28 02:19:29 UTC
Post by Terry R.
I connected the hard drive to my workstation and found a Backup
folder in ...\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\OneNote\12.0\.
Under "normal conditions" there are no notebook-files in this
subdirectory.
In this location only files are stored which are belonging to the cache.

The *normal* place for storing the notebook-files is "%userprofile%\My
Documents\OneNote Notebooks".
One can change this in OneNote, however (via the "Tools | Options |
Save" dialog). No one in this world - except the *User* - would be able
to say what the User had specified as the default location of storage.
Post by Terry R.
There is an "Open Sections" folder, and "Unfiled Notes" folder,
I can't say what "Open Sections might be. And "Unfiled Notes" would be
sitting where the notebooks are sitting.
Post by Terry R.
and
one of her business meeting folders, with a few of the files being
quite large. As suggested, one of the large files could have been
opened and had been storing all of info when she said she was just
opening and closing ON most of the time and the data was just
"there"?
All of this sounds rather strange.
No idea on what she might have be doing.
Post by Terry R.
All the files have the .one extension. If I copy the folders over
to the new hard drive to the same location, will they be
automatically picked up by OneNote?
*NO*.
ON will not pick these files "automatically".
ON does not pick up anything "automatically".
Each and any notebook-file has to be opened explicitly.

As said: The default directory for notebook-files is ..\My
Documents\OneNote Notebooks".
Therefore you might copy the "*.one" files to this location on the new
drive.
They can be opened from there so that the User might check whether it's
current data or just some odd stuff.

Rainald
Terry R.
2008-10-28 14:39:18 UTC
The date and time was 10/27/2008 7:19 PM, and on a whim, Rainald Taesler
Post by Rainald Taesler
Post by Terry R.
I connected the hard drive to my workstation and found a Backup
folder in ...\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\OneNote\12.0\.
Under "normal conditions" there are no notebook-files in this
subdirectory.
In this location only files are stored which are belonging to the cache.
Normal? There are many .one files there. Are you saying only the user
could have directed (word I'm using different from the three you used)
them there? I don't see how.
Post by Rainald Taesler
The *normal* place for storing the notebook-files is "%userprofile%\My
Documents\OneNote Notebooks".
One can change this in OneNote, however (via the "Tools | Options |
Save" dialog). No one in this world - except the *User* - would be able
to say what the User had specified as the default location of storage.
That's where the user saved them. No changes were made in ON. But not
all the data/files/info is there (I don't know what to call it at this
point).
Post by Rainald Taesler
Post by Terry R.
There is an "Open Sections" folder, and "Unfiled Notes" folder,
I can't say what "Open Sections might be. And "Unfiled Notes" would be
sitting where the notebooks are sitting.
I can assure you the user did not create the folders. It seems clear
they are for ON usage, and neither of them are where the "notebooks" are
sitting but in the ON appdata area.
Post by Rainald Taesler
Post by Terry R.
and
one of her business meeting folders, with a few of the files being
quite large. As suggested, one of the large files could have been
opened and had been storing all of info when she said she was just
opening and closing ON most of the time and the data was just
"there"?
All of this sounds rather strange.
No idea on what she might have be doing.

Rainald Taesler
2008-10-28 02:44:09 UTC
Post by Terry R.
We have been replacing hard drives on laptops. I have a Onenote
user who told me today most of her Onenote files were missing.
Since all laptop data is stored on servers, I told her that any
data should still be in the folders it was in originally. Files
that she specifically saved are there.
What do you mean by "specifically saved"??
Working with OneNote one does not "save" and close files (one note does
not even have a "Save" feature).
Post by Terry R.
But she states that most of
the time she would work in Onenote and then just close it and the
data would be there next time it was opened.
That's exactly the way one works with OneNote.
One just opens the notebooks (be it locally [standard location is
"%userprofile%\My Documents\OneNote Notebooks"] OR from a shared
(possibly mapped) device in the network.
One does not "close" the files (as is usual with standard applications),
one just leaves everything open and closes OneNote instead. When opening
OneNote again, everything is open.
Post by Terry R.
I don't know how she is doing her work. I thought users saved
Onenote data like other programs, by saving files, but by her
description I must be wrong.
*NO*
Totally wrong assumption on your side.
What she told you just is the normal way of working with OneNote.
Post by Terry R.
Is Onenote data stored locally even if My Documents is a network drive?
*NO*
The OneNote notebook-file *normally* will not be stored locally if "My
Documents" is a network drive. They will - depending on how things are
set up - either sitting be in the User's "My Documents" directory OR -
to make things even more complicated - or on a *shared* network device
(if the notebooks are to used by other users too and in so far the
automatic synching feature is used).
Post by Terry R.
Would everything she works on be sitting in the cache?
OneNote works with a cache. That's the basics of it all.
By default (unless "symbolic links/NTFS-links are used) the cache is
sitting in the user's
%localappdata%\Microsoft\OneNote\12.0\
directory.
BUT: The cache is just one big file only usable by ON and there are no
usable notebooks in there.
Post by Terry R.
I still have the old drive so I can retrieve anything left behind.
If - as you say - the "%userprofile%\My Documents" folder is sitting in
the network, there is no use at all in using the old local drive.
The notebooks have to opened from the place they were stored.

Rainald
Terry R.
2008-10-28 14:58:52 UTC
The date and time was 10/27/2008 7:44 PM, and on a whim, Rainald Taesler
Post by Rainald Taesler
Post by Terry R.
We have been replacing hard drives on laptops. I have a Onenote
user who told me today most of her Onenote files were missing.
Since all laptop data is stored on servers, I told her that any
data should still be in the folders it was in originally. Files
that she specifically saved are there.
What do you mean by "specifically saved"??
Working with OneNote one does not "save" and close files (one note does
not even have a "Save" feature).
Okay, here we go. You state ON does not "save". But you have used
"stored", "created", and "saved" in describing how ON works. If one
doesn't "save", how do the notebook files (.one) come to be? How do
they have a specific name?

You stated ON doesn't save/store/create files in the locations I pointed
out, but I can assure you the user didn't find a path to the ON appdata
folder and decide to save/create/store (whatever it is ON does) in that
location.
Post by Rainald Taesler
Post by Terry R.
But she states that most of
the time she would work in Onenote and then just close it and the
data would be there next time it was opened.
That's exactly the way one works with OneNote.
One just opens the notebooks (be it locally [standard location is
"%userprofile%\My Documents\OneNote Notebooks"] OR from a shared
(possibly mapped) device in the network.
One does not "close" the files (as is usual with standard applications),
one just leaves everything open and closes OneNote instead. When opening
OneNote again, everything is open.
So is this easily solved by figuring out what notebook the user had open
last? Will everything be in that notebook (that is not saved but either
stored or created some way)?
Post by Rainald Taesler
Post by Terry R.
I don't know how she is doing her work. I thought users saved
Onenote data like other programs, by saving files, but by her
description I must be wrong.
*NO*
Totally wrong assumption on your side.
What she told you just is the normal way of working with OneNote.
Okay, that's fine, I shouldn't have assumed. I saw specifically named
.one file and I thought the user saved them with that name. I'm even
more confused on how ON saves/stores/creates now.
Post by Terry R.
Would everything she works on be sitting in the cache?
OneNote works with a cache. That's the basics of it all.
By default (unless "symbolic links/NTFS-links are used) the cache is
sitting in the user's
%localappdata%\Microsoft\OneNote\12.0\
directory.
BUT: The cache is just one big file only usable by ON and there are no
usable notebooks in there.
I think MS needs to rethink its use of "cache". This is one example,
Offline Files is another. I'm not impressed on eithers reliability factor.
Post by Rainald Taesler
Post by Terry R.
I still have the old drive so I can retrieve anything left behind.
If - as you say - the "%userprofile%\My Documents" folder is sitting in
the network, there is no use at all in using the old local drive.
The notebooks have to opened from the place they were stored.
Rainald
Rainald, thank you so much for trying to assist me. I really appreciate
it. It's just the frustration level with so many MS ways of thinking
gets old. Saving data should be a no brainer, ESPECIALLY with a program
like ON. Users shouldn't have to look ANYWHERE but where their data is
stored (where you stated). But that's not the case here. The cache
sounds like a gray area, as someone said if the user may have been
working offline then changes wouldn't have synced. This process needs
to be more protective of user data/files/info.

You state nothing of use is in the ON appdata folder, but I clearly see
a Backup folder with .one files that may be the key to the users missing
data/files/info. We'll have to copy those over and see.

Any further communication let's try to limit it to threading off of this
post, unless clarification in other areas is needed.

Thanks again,
--
Terry R.

***Reply Note***
Ilya Koulchin
2008-10-28 19:40:27 UTC
I'm seeing a lot of confusion and speculation in this thread, so perhaps
a short explanation of how OneNote works is in order.

When a user runs OneNote, it'll launch with a set of notebooks. These
notebooks can be individually closed, and new ones opened. Each notebook
is a folder in the filesystem, with .one files representing sections.
They default to being stored under "My Documents\OneNote Notebooks", but
can also be opened from any location. The location of each notebook is
visible by hovering the mouse over its icon in the left hand pane.

To allow for offline capabilities and multi-user editing, however,
OneNote doesn't work directly with the .one files. All changes are first
saved to the cache (the .onecache file you've found already), and then
synced out to the file. Similarly, all external changes to the file are
first synced into the cache, and then read from there.

If you suspect that the cache isn't in sync, the easiest solution is to
start up OneNote and let it sync. If all you have is the cachefile, you
can replace the cachefile on one of the other machines with OneNote and
let it sync (be careful with local notebooks though - if OneNote can't
find a notebook that's supposed to be stored on local disk it'll assume
it was deleted and close it).

OneNote also keeps backups of all changed sections. These are stored
under the Backups folder in the user's AppData folder. OneNote does not
ever read from these files - it'll only backup the changes into there
occasionally. If you want to restore the data from the backups, you'll
need to copy the backup files into one of the open notebooks (don't open
the backups folder as a notebook - it'll lead to uncontrolled section
duplication).
Terry R.
2008-10-28 21:10:15 UTC
The date and time was 10/28/2008 12:40 PM, and on a whim, Ilya Koulchin
Post by Ilya Koulchin
I'm seeing a lot of confusion and speculation in this thread, so perhaps
a short explanation of how OneNote works is in order.
When a user runs OneNote, it'll launch with a set of notebooks. These
notebooks can be individually closed, and new ones opened. Each notebook
is a folder in the filesystem, with .one files representing sections.
They default to being stored under "My Documents\OneNote Notebooks", but
can also be opened from any location. The location of each notebook is
visible by hovering the mouse over its icon in the left hand pane.
As I stated to Rainald, I was told (by him) that one doesn't "save"
files in ON. My question was how do they originate then? He used three
verbs to describe and "save" was one of them, along with "store" and
"create". This user has .one files in the default location, but they
are not a "folder in the filesystem", nor are there corresponding
folders. I would think if that was the case, there would be a folder
for every notebook and every folder would contain a .one file(s). But
most of the user files are individual files (.one) in the OneNote
Notebooks folder.

Finding the lost data/files/info may only be recovered by reinstalling
the old drive and noting the location of each notebook, so we can
pinpoint the location of the missing ones.

Since this particular user is still using Offline Files, I'm a little
hesitant to put in the old drive, not knowing what OF may do. I'm
thinking I should turn it off before installing the old drive, but the
old drive has it turned on, so I have no way to turn it off on the old
drive, unless I can turn off the wireless and not use a network cable to
force OF to not try and sync.
Post by Ilya Koulchin
To allow for offline capabilities and multi-user editing, however,
OneNote doesn't work directly with the .one files. All changes are first
saved to the cache (the .onecache file you've found already), and then
synced out to the file. Similarly, all external changes to the file are
first synced into the cache, and then read from there.
I don't believe the user intentionally used ON in Offline mode (no
reason to really), but I can't verify that until I'm onsite tomorrow.
Post by Ilya Koulchin
If you suspect that the cache isn't in sync, the easiest solution is to
start up OneNote and let it sync. If all you have is the cachefile, you
can replace the cachefile on one of the other machines with OneNote and
let it sync (be careful with local notebooks though - if OneNote can't
find a notebook that's supposed to be stored on local disk it'll assume
it was deleted and close it).
Originally, I was going to try that tomorrow. This makes me not want to
mess with replacing the cachefile with the old one on the old drive, as
I don't want to lose any more than she already has.
Post by Ilya Koulchin
OneNote also keeps backups of all changed sections. These are stored
under the Backups folder in the user's AppData folder. OneNote does not
ever read from these files - it'll only backup the changes into there
occasionally. If you want to restore the data from the backups, you'll
need to copy the backup files into one of the open notebooks (don't open
the backups folder as a notebook - it'll lead to uncontrolled section
duplication).
I did find the Backup folder, with quite a few files in it, some that
are not even in the default folder (this puzzles me).

Why backups are ever stored in a program folder is beyond me. We
(admins) try to preserve data, and program writers put backups in an
application folder. Why isn't it backed up to the default? Unless a
computer user backs up the entire system, that (data in an app folder)
is useless if the hard drive dies.

So, to find out what is in the .one files in the Backup folder, would it
be best to create folders in the default location and place each .one
file into the corresponding folder and then open them from there?

Thank you for taking the time to explain,
--
Terry R.

***Reply Note***
Rainald Taesler
2008-10-30 01:06:51 UTC
As said in my previous reply, I'll carefully go through the whole thread
in order to check if their might open questions.
Post by Terry R.
Since this particular user is still using Offline Files, I'm a
little hesitant to put in the old drive, not knowing what OF may
do.
In general the One-notebook should *NOT* be part of the "Offline files"
mechanisms.
Synching with the "Offline files" features can seriously spoil things.
Post by Terry R.
I'm thinking I should turn it off before installing the old
drive, but the old drive has it turned on, so I have no way to turn
it off on the old drive, unless I can turn off the wireless and not
use a network cable to force OF to not try and sync.
Now that you could repair things, leave the "OneNote notebooks
directories *OUT* of reach for Offline files. AS ON uses it's own
synching, synching via "Offline files" is good for nothing but spoiling
things.

Rainald
Terry R.
2008-10-30 17:19:36 UTC
The date and time was 10/29/2008 6:06 PM, and on a whim, Rainald Taesler
Post by Terry R.
I'm thinking I should turn it off before installing the old
drive, but the old drive has it turned on, so I have no way to turn
it off on the old drive, unless I can turn off the wireless and not
use a network cable to force OF to not try and sync.
Now that you could repair things, leave the "OneNote notebooks
directories *OUT* of reach for Offline files. AS ON uses it's own
synching, synching via "Offline files" is good for nothing but spoiling
things.
Rainald
Like I said early on, I don't have any faith in the MS "caching"
technology. Offline Files is a horrible design, and we are moving to
other methods as quickly as possible. The caching of OneNote didn't
appear to be useful in this circumstance either.

Although we are not using Offline Files to sync from the laptop to the
server, we set My Documents on the server and sync to the laptop. This
way if/when Offline Files fails, we can go back and use the enabled
shadowing of the data to retrieve anything lost.
--
Terry R.

***Reply Note***
Rainald Taesler
2008-10-31 05:26:46 UTC
Post by Terry R.
Post by Rainald Taesler
As said in my previous reply, I'll carefully go through the whole
thread in order to check if their might open questions.
As this affair has got really out of all reasonable boundaries, I need a
bit more time.
Pleeeease give me the weekend and in between leave me *without* further
theories on what might have happened and what not.
Post by Terry R.
Post by Rainald Taesler
Now that you could repair things, leave the "OneNote notebooks
directories *OUT* of reach for Offline files. AS ON uses it's own
synching, synching via "Offline files" is good for nothing but
spoiling things.
[.]
Post by Terry R.
Like I said early on, I don't have any faith in the MS "caching"
technology. Offline Files is a horrible design, and we are moving
to other methods as quickly as possible.
That's just at your command ;-)
Post by Terry R.
The caching of OneNote
didn't appear to be useful in this circumstance either.
May be it just does "appear" to have not been so.
That's just due the "circumstances" <gbg>.
OneNote's caching is a most efficient construction.
It's not an instrument for "backing up data", however, nor for covering
users' mistakes.
Post by Terry R.
Although we are not using Offline Files to sync from the laptop to
the server, we set My Documents on the server and sync to the
laptop.
Sorry, I do not understand what you might mean by this :-( :-(
What might have been synched from where to where under this scheme?
Post by Terry R.
This way if/when Offline Files fails, we can go back and
use the enabled shadowing of the data to retrieve anything lost.
Not knowing how you did set up things (as said above), I can only repeat
what I said before:
Having the directory where the "OneNote notebooks" are sitting (be it
anywhere on a server or just in "My Documents" in the hierarchy of the
User-Profile [be it held locally or on a server]) included in any kind
of "synchronizing" mechanisms (like Offline files) will seriously
*spoil* things.
In so far "Offline files" is just one of the trouble-making instruments.

Rainald
Rainald Taesler
2008-11-21 19:44:18 UTC
Are you still listening, Terry?
Post by Rainald Taesler
Post by Rainald Taesler
As said in my previous reply, I'll carefully go through the whole
thread in order to check if their might open questions.
As this affair has got really out of all reasonable boundaries, I
need a bit more time.
Pleeeease give me the weekend and in between leave me *without*
further theories on what might have happened and what not.
I had promised to reply to possibly open questions.
Unfortunately it was too much and so several weekends went by.

If interested, I will write up what might be of value.
But only if you'd still interested.
Pls let me know.

Rainald
Steve Silverwood
2008-11-25 00:00:20 UTC
Post by Rainald Taesler
I had promised to reply to possibly open questions.
Unfortunately it was too much and so several weekends went by.
I know the feeling. This is -=THE=- #1 newsgroup I visit whenever I
get time to spend on newsgroups, but sometimes there's either not
enough time or just too many other things to do. As I write this it's
just after 0300 Pacific time and I'm on my lunch break. (Laptops are
a godsend!!!)

//Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS
Email: ***@arrl.net
Web: http://kb6ojs.com

Rainald Taesler
2008-10-30 00:59:24 UTC
Post by Ilya Koulchin
I'm seeing a lot of confusion and speculation in this thread, so
perhaps a short explanation of how OneNote works is in order.
Thanks a million for your comprehensive description of ON storage
basics.
I saved it for future usage.

I'd be very sorry, should my replies in the multiple branches of the
thread would have added to the said confusion :-( :-(

Thanks again and regards
Rainald
Terry R.
2008-10-29 21:07:24 UTC
Post by Terry R.
[...]
Today I connected the old laptop drive to the laptop via USB. I moved
the .one files that were in the "Backup" folder but were NOT in the
default location. The files in that folder had the data the user had
been working on for months.

I still would like to know why the only copy was in the Backup folder in
the App Data and not in the default location. It wasn't the user, so it
had to be OneNote.
--
Terry R.

***Reply Note***
Rainald Taesler
2008-10-30 00:56:23 UTC
Thanks for the follow-up. Really great news!
Congratulations.
Post by Terry R.
Today I connected the old laptop drive to the laptop via USB. I
moved the .one files that were in the "Backup" folder but were NOT
in the default location. The files in that folder had the data the
user had been working on for months.
Only too natural if she did what's necessary: Backup data regularly. ;-)
How current the data are depends on how regular backups have been made,
however.
Post by Terry R.
I still would like to know why the only copy was in the Backup
folder in the App Data and not in the default location. It wasn't
the user, so it had to be OneNote.
Sorry, IMHO wrong assumptions again.
Everyone working in IT-support knows that the most un-reliable source
for information in case of troubles are the *users*.
I'm sure that in the case given the user had done things which caused
the missing of the files in their default location. ON does not remove
the data files and/or move them without the user's command.

In order to avoid problems in the future, my advice would be to check
the settings for the storage of (a) date files (notebooks), (b) the
cache and (c) the backups and correct the paths in case the would be
wrong.
Go to "Tools | Options | Save".

I have been out of town for the last two days so that I could not reply
to your postings.
Ilya Koulchin has made a most valuable contribution to clear basic
things.
I'll check the whole thread in order to see if it might be useful to add
something in order to answer possibly open questions. Pls give me a day
or two.

Rainald
Terry R.
2008-10-30 17:13:51 UTC
The date and time was 10/29/2008 5:56 PM, and on a whim, Rainald Taesler
Post by Terry R.
Today I connected the old laptop drive to the laptop via USB. I
moved the .one files that were in the "Backup" folder but were NOT
in the default location. The files in that folder had the data the
user had been working on for months.
Only too natural if she did what's necessary: Backup data regularly. ;-)
How current the data are depends on how regular backups have been made,
however.
See below. Backup isn't the issue.
Post by Rainald Taesler
Post by Terry R.
I still would like to know why the only copy was in the Backup
folder in the App Data and not in the default location. It wasn't
the user, so it had to be OneNote.
Sorry, IMHO wrong assumptions again.
Everyone working in IT-support knows that the most un-reliable source
for information in case of troubles are the *users*.
I've been consulting for 14 years, and I can agree to some extent. I
also investigate thoroughly enough to come to that conclusion. This is
not the case here.
Post by Rainald Taesler
[...]

What do you think the user did? Delete the files in the default folder
on the network? Sorry, we have Shadowing enabled on the servers and I
went back through EVERY Previous Version of the users network folder and
the files were not in ONE version (well over a month of shadowing twice
per day). I'm also sure the user didn't have the files in another
location (I searched the old hard drive). The files in the Backup
folder were not originals, as they had the (last mod date).one appended
to the original name (even though the dates did not reflect data written
later within the file). The user never made a change from the defaults
in the program.

Can the backup location be changed in ON? I didn't check yesterday.
It's poor design to put any data backup in the AppData folders IMO. It
should be placed in the default data location.
--
Terry R.

***Reply Note***
David
2008-10-31 00:29:33 UTC
The backup location can be changed.

Menu: Tools-Options
Category: Save

The settings for the frequency and copy numbers of the backup are found in
Category: Backup

David Olsen
www.powerbits.com.au
Terry R.
2008-10-31 00:39:02 UTC
The date and time was 10/30/2008 5:29 PM, and on a whim, David pounded
Post by David
The backup location can be changed.
Menu: Tools-Options
Category: Save
The settings for the frequency and copy numbers of the backup are found in
Category: Backup
David Olsen
www.powerbits.com.au
Thank you David.
--
Terry R.

***Reply Note***
Rainald Taesler
2008-10-31 04:56:43 UTC
Post by Terry R.
Post by David
The backup location can be changed.
Menu: Tools-Options
Category: Save
The settings for the frequency and copy numbers of the backup are
found in Category: Backup
Thank you David.
AFAICS we had that before!

Rainald
Rainald Taesler
2008-10-31 04:51:33 UTC
Post by David
The backup location can be changed.
[...]

FWIW:
Not *only* the backup location can be changed!

The place where the notebooks are stored can be changed.

The place where the cache is stored can be chanced.

Only the place where ON system settings (Preferences.dat and
Toolbar.dat) are stored
(i.e.: %appdata%\Microsoft\OneNote\12.0\)
can not be changed (unless using a re-direction by means of "symbolic
links" [NTFS-links]).

Rainald